Just one interval today, but it’s a LONG one! It’s full time trial mode as you storm up a hill or a set of stairs for 11 MINUTES. That’s enough time to enter the hurt locker and train your mental toughness skills in addition to stamina.
- As much elevation (or steps) plus distance as possible in 11 minutes!
- Set a countdown timer and run UP, quickly, for 11 minutes. It’s a full on race to cover as much ground (distance and elevation) as possible before the clock hits zero.
- All UP hill! You can do this on stairs as well. Ideally it’s a runnable incline. If it’s too steep, then speed hike it.
- Use this workout as a chance to practice staying relaxed in the face of adversity. Relax your shoulders and neck. Don’t fold at the waist. Make sure you’re breathing full, especially on the exhale, as the temptation will be to limit your exhale. This will ultimately reduce your oxygen intake while increasing tension in the body. Avoid that trap by breathing fully in and out.
- #hillseeker #hillwod to share your photos or experience!
Notes from Jeff’s test run of this HWOD: I did this one in Richterswil, Switzerland on a hilly street next to my home, but starting much lower than usual. I found myself getting too tense about 3 minutes in, so while I kept the pace high, my mantra become “”relax”” until the last 2min. Then I spotted a target and wanted full gas until I passed it. It’s a grueling 11 minutes, but it feels great when you maintain the intensity and finish strong! Use this workout to reinforce proper technique on top of the conditioning focus. In the test WOD, I covered 1.7KM (just over a mile) with 154m (500 feet) of elevation gain on inclines ranging from 4% to 15%. Here’s the Strava link.
Have a great hill workout!
— Coach Jeff