It’s BLAST OFF time today with a series of 13 sprints, each about 13 seconds in duration. You’re going to feel this one tomorrow!
- 13 rounds
- 13 second full speed hill sprint
- recovery on the walk or easy jog back to the start line
- Warm up with 10-15 min running
- Find a hill that’s in the 2-4% incline range, not too steep. Our focus is on speed today.
- Mark a start line. Sprint your first 13 sec interval. Mark your finishing point. This will be your finishing point for the remaining 12 intervals, regardless of how long it takes you to get there. You’ll get there in 13 seconds each time though, because that’s your mission for today’s hill workout!
- Use this workout as a chance to focus on light, quick foot pulls. Relax your shoulders and neck as well.
- START the sprints with a relaxed body, with the only tension in the quick pulls. You’ll be amazed at how much wasted tension is typically placed in the body when sprinting. Use only the minimum necessary!
- #hillseeker #hillwod to share your photos or experience!
Notes from Jeff’s test run of this HWOD: I did this one in Richterswil, Switzerland on my favorite local trail run. I used a section of the trail that I rarely do intervals on, as it’s not that steep and is on the normal warm-up part of my trail runs. It’s been raining a lot lately, so the stream next to the trail was at full volume, as were the feeder streams. I decided to add some elements of fun by including jumps over 3 of those feeder streams. Selecting a less steep hill allows you to focus on speed, while still receiving the physical and mental toughness benefits of hill training. I loved this workout and felt the soreness within 3 hours. Awesome! Good luck with it!
Have a great hill workout!
— Coach Jeff