HILLWOD 22 is an exercise in OVER SPEED. It’s downhill sprint time for this one!
- Pick a hill that’s not too steep: 2-4% incline is ideal. You need at least 200 meters, but a nice mile-long (1600m) hill would be excellent.
- Complete 8 rounds of 22 squats and a 200m downhill sprint.
- Do a long warm-up, up hill if possible. Fast hiking is ok, but make sure it’s at least 15 minutes long.
- Focus on a fast and smooth stride, like you’re pedaling a bike.
- If you pick up too much speed, stand up straight and even lean back some. Always keep it smooth, even if that means slowing down a little.
- Maintain excellent form on the squats.
- Cool down with at least 5 minutes of running and up to 20 minutes if you’ve got the time.
- #hillseeker #hillwod to share your photos or experience!
Notes from Jeff’s test run of this HILLWOD: I did this one at the end of a day when I was coming off a cold and feeling very tired. It was 8:30PM and I wasn’t feeling particularly strong and motivated for a hard hill workout. I had just finished a long podcast recording session and felt inspired by my guest on the show, so I quit the negative thoughts on feeling tired and got outside for the run. As expected, it turned into a great session. I did a speed walk up hill for 1600 meters and dropped right into my first of 8 sets of 22 squats, followed by a full-on downhill sprint. Total time for the 8x200m downhill plus squats was 19:30.
Have a great hill workout!
— Coach Jeff