HILLWOD 30 is a 30 minute fartlek-style hill challenge.
- Warm-up and set a countdown timer for 30 minutes. The location that you start the timer is your starting point.
- Your goal is to run 10 hills or hill sections in 30 minutes.
- You must return to your starting point after each interval.
- Vary the duration of each interval.
- The hill can also be stairs, but you must run a new section of stairs or a hill for it to count. A section can be as long as you wish, but must be at least 30 seconds long. Run hard up and easy down.
- Spread out the intervals with rest breaks to ensure that each is high quality (with sufficient recovery time) and that you take the full 30 minutes to finish all of them.
- #hillseeker #hillwod to share your photos or experience!
Notes from Jeff’s test run of this HILLWOD: This workout is a variation on a challenge I did in Encinitas at the SEALFIT Training Center in July. The original version was to complete 10 separate beach/cliff stair runs, with each run starting at the training center. The total distance to cover was about 60 KM (35 mi). A full month was the given time limit. My time in town was limited, so I did it in 10 days. On top of other training and leading runs during coaching work, I covered at least 200 KM (125 miles) during a two week period. This was a fun challenge to include in the middle of that spontaneous high volume period. For the condensed HILLWOD variation, my vision is a series of spontaneously-decided sprints up stairs and/or hills until the 10th is completed (before time runs out)! Time pressure always helps us get more from ourselves!
Have a great hill workout!
— Coach Jeff