Lunges? You want lunges? Whether that’s a yes or no, you got ’em in number 14! This workout mixes up-hill walking lunges and fartlek hill sprints. And just to ensure that it will suck the appropriate amount, it includes a 100-squat buy-in and 100 squat buy out.
- Buy-in: 100 squats
- 20min AMRAP up-hill walking lunges, fartlek style (do as many as you want) + double that distance in a hill sprint
- Buy-out: 100 squats
- The squat buy-in and buy-out are not included in the 20 minutes. Start the timer after the 100th squat.
- Your score is the total number of up-hill walking lunges completed in 20 minutes.
- Vary the distance for each block of lunges you do — fartlek style (spontaneously selected). Walk or jog back to your starting line and then do a hill sprint approximately double the distance you covered for the walking lunges. Walk or run back to the start line and set off on walking lunges for a different, spontaneously selected distance. Jog back and then sprint double that distance. Keep going until the timer goes off!
- #hillseeker #hillwod to share your photos or experience!
Notes from Jeff’s test run of this HWOD: I did this one in Richterswil, Switzerland on the steep hill next to my house, but this time on a section next to a vineyard. I selected a stunning hydrangea in full bloom as my initial target and this required 100 walking lunge steps to reach. I continued to randomonly select targets and finish the workout with 270 walking lunges completed … and all the double-distance sprints completed. This one is awful! I’m still sore from the 13x13sec hill sprints in number 13, so 2 days later, this one made for some nice double-trouble pain dojo time!
Have a great hill workout!
— Coach Jeff