HILLWOD 38 is for those times you want to train for hills, but don’t have them nearby! This HILLWOD is doable in flat terrain, indoors, even in a hotel room, so it’s a no-excuse hill training workout!
20min AMRAP Box Step-ups
- AMRAP = As Many Reps as Possible
- Standards: Step up on a box or bench and bring the other leg up. The top position is standing on the box with the hips open. Return box feet to the ground. Suggested height is 61cm /24 inches.
- You may jump as well — open the hips and stand tall at the top. You may also mix jumping and stepping.
- Optional: weight vest or with sandbag
- #hillseeker #hillwod to share your photos or experience!
Notes from Jeff’s test run of this HILLWOD: I did this one at the Hillseeker Training Center in Samstagern, Switzerland. It was a chilly, foggy December day, but the fog suddenly lifted and the terrace at the gym heated up. So, I carted out a box and got after the step-ups. I decided on step-ups instead of jumps because the movement suits my endurance running and hiking aims, plus for me at least, it’s safer. Given 20 minutes of jumps, I would surely space out for a moment, catch a toe and rip open a shin. Time FLEW by in this HILLWOD, much faster than I expected. The movement became quite meditative to me and I often “”woke up”” and had to remind myself to pick up the pace. I finished 360 reps when the timer went off. I decided then that 500 reps was just too close to pass up, so I continued for another 8 minutes and made it 500 reps for time, in a total of 27:57.
Have a great hill workout!
— Coach Jeff